Well I did it. I let complacency get the best of me, and now that I have the desire to write again there are too many subjects to cover. So indulge me if you will, and let me take you on a tour of my current thoughts on the sports world.
1. It's the year of HS football. After a five year absence from my High School alma mater, Timpanogos High School in Orem, I've decided it's time to return. The main reason I haven't been back is because THS sucks - and sucks badly - at football. This year will probably be no different, but I've decided it's time to return to my roots. Plus THS' David Kruger is being recruited by BYU, and maybe I can put in a good word. I did know his brother Paul, after all. (Quick note: Paul plays at the U., and never really liked me all that much)
2. This Michael Vick crap is getting old. First of all, I never liked Michael Vick. The guy has been bad news (or newz if you prefer) since college, and I'm not surprised at all that he's in trouble now. Just one request: Cart him off and let the rest of us live our lives! If I see one more special report on ESPN about Michael Vick, I think I'm going to Yak. But I will say this about the case - would Vick be raked through the coals this much if he beat up another human being? I seriously doubt it.
3. NASCAR and soccer suck. Just thought I'd remind everybody.
4. Oregon State is going to MURDER the Utes tomorrow. That's right, I said murder. Football season will officially kick off with a bloodbath. I'm so happy I'll be able to watch Brian Johnson lead the Utes to an ebarrassing loss in Oregon (Corvallis? Help me out here, Trevor). Let the mediocrity begin!
5. A shout out to one of my newest readers, my nephew Colton Carpenter. Colton is currently blowing people up on the O-line in Pee-wee football. Rip 'em up, Colt.
6. Here's my fantasy football team, for those of you who give a hoot:
QB: Marc Bulger - STL
RB: Brian Westbrook - PHI
RB: Ronnie Brown - MIA
WR: Terrell Owens - DAL
WR: Deion Branch - SEA
WR: Randy Moss - NE
TE: Chris Cooley - WSH
K: David Akers - PHI
I'm not sure, but I think I'm going to get killed. At least I'll have some sort of interest in the NFL this year.
7. More interest in the NFL: John Beck threw two TD passes in his most recent exhibition game. One was a perfect throw through three defenders for a 51 yard strike, the other was a high pass caught in stride 31 yards out. Beck is going to be a good quarterback, ladies and gentlemen. His work ethic, training, and God-given talent are going to take him far.
8. BYU Firesides. For those of you living in a cave, the BYU team does a fireside every Friday night before football games. I've never been to one personally, but this year I plan on attending at least two. Here's the schedule:
Aug. 31 7:00 p.m. Lindon Central Stake Center All Lindon / American Fork
Sept. 7 6:30 p.m. LaCresenta Stake Center
Sept. 14 7:00 p.m. Tulsa East Sake Center
Sept. 21 7:00 p.m. Spanish Fork Stake Center All Spanish Fork / Salem
Sept. 28 7:00 p.m. Albuquerque West Stake Center
Oct. 12 7:00 p.m. Red Rock Stake Center
Oct. 19 7:00 p.m. Orem Hillcrest Stake Center All Orem Stakes
Oct. 26 7:00 p.m. San Diego North Stake Center
Nov. 2 7:00 p.m. Springville West Stake Center All Springville Stakes
Nov. 7 7:00 p.m. Smith Fieldhouse BYU Student Body
Nov. 16 7:00 p.m. Cheyenne Stake Center
Nov. 23 7:00 p.m. Provo Tabernacle All Provo Stakes
Go Cougars! Let the games begin!