Every fan is different. Some are crazy, some are wishy-washy. Some are prudish, some are boorish, some are loud and some are just havin' a good time.
Every fan has their own personal code of conduct. What is standard procedure for one fan may be lazy, offensive or just plain wrong for another. That being said, there is a standard by which every fan should live. I've compiled this list of Ten Commandments for every fan. May you live them in peace.
1. Thou Shalt Wear Thy Team's Colors. Seems like a no-brainer, right? but thousands of people all over the country attend sporting events in rogue colors. If you're going to take the time to attend a game, take the time to pull over a team t-shirt.
2. Thou Shalt Sing Thy Team's Fight Song. This rule may not literally apply to every fan (pro sports, etc.), but the spirit of the law remains. Learn the words, sing proud and support your team.
3. Thou Shalt Not Boo Thine Own Team, Coach or Players. Booing your own troops is bush-league, low-class trash. I don't care how poorly JT... or anyone else... is playing.
4. Thou Shalt Attend. If you live close, if you can afford it and if you have the time, you need to attend every possible home game. This goes double for the blue hairs who already have season tickets but just don't show up to the games.
5. Thou Shalt Watch. When you can't get to the games, watch them on TV. If you can't watch it on TV, listen on the radio. If you can't do that, jump on the Interwebs afterward and read the report.
6. Thou Shalt Not Conflict. You want to know what I say to people who schedule things during games? Nothing, because I don't go. Don't be one of those guys. Your EQ activity can wait a few hours.
7. Thou Shalt Not Cheer For Thy Rival. I know others may disagree, but all true fans have rivals, and and all rivals must be trodden under your feet.
8. Thou Shalt Educate Thyself. First tier fans, know the players. Second tier, read the newspapers. Third tier fans, check the blogs, read the message boards and leave comments. Whatever level of fan you are, make sure you know what's going on.
9. Thou Shalt Read ASB. This one's a given. Tell your friends.
10. Thou Shalt Cheer With All Thy Might. Be a part of the game. Cheer loudly and don't be afraid of the old people that sit behind you and tell you to be quiet. Your team needs you. Don't believe your wife and kids: You can make a difference. Even if you're just watching at home.
Did I miss anything? Please, feel free to leave your commandments in the comments below.